Needle morpho-anatomy and pollen morpho-physiology of selected conifers in urbanconditions
Authors:Nikolić, Biljana M.
Veselinović, Milorad M.
Milanović, Slobodan D.
Mladenović, Katarina D.
Mitrović, Suzana Ž.
Eremija, Saša M.
Article (Published version)
2019, ALÖKI Kft., Budapest, Hungary
MetadataShow full item record
Comparison of twelve conifer species (Abies alba, A. concolor, A. nordmanniana, A. pinsapo, Cedrus atlantica, C. deodara, Picea abies, P. omorika, P. pungens, Pseudotsuga menziesii, Taxus baccata, andPinus nigra) in the sense of needle morpho-anatomy and pollen morpho-physiology, in correlation to air pollution, was performed for the first time. Analyzed properties of species werealso compared with literature sources. Listed conifers were investigated in five Belgrade parks, characterised by different degrees of air pollution, especially CO2. Their rank, I-V, was performed from non-polluted to heavily-polluted parks. Ranking in the sense of needle morpho-anatomy and pollen morpho-physiology didnot match expected ones, but park V remained the worst for many analyzed species. Trees with shorter needles had greater stomatal density, which was particularly prominent in A. alba, A. nordmanniana, P. abies, P. omorika, P. nigraand T. baccata. The pollen grains of C. atlanticaand T. baccatawere the most sensitive to air pollution. In some analyzed species distance of particular trees close to the heavy traffic also was in correlation with needle dimensions (P. omorika, A. concolor, A. nordmanniana, P. nigra), stomatal density (A. alba, P. abies, P. omorika, P. pungens) and pollen vitality (A. pinsapo, C. atlantica, P. menziessi, P. nigra, andT. baccata).
Keywords:Cedar; Fir; Pine; Spruce; Yew
Source:Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 2019, 17, 2, 2831-2848
- Micromorphological, phytochemical and molecular investigations of plants - systematic, ecological and applicative aspects (RS-173029)
- Evaluation of ecophysiological and genetic plant diversity in forest ecosystems (RS-173011)
- The development of technological procedures in forestry with a view to an optimum forest cover realisation (RS-31070)
- Studying climate change and its influence on environment: impacts, adaptation and mitigation (RS-43007)
- City of Belgrade, Secretariat for Environmental Protection (grant number 4011-144)